Saturday, April 23, 2011

Theifs

After being woken up from the fire and barely sleeping, I arise to the clanging of metal and the coughing of a broken muffler. I roll over cussing under my breath and force myself up. My head is killing me already from the bootleg liquor I had last night and this racket isn't helping a thing. I rub my eyes and wince at the brightness of the day. Closing my eyes, I stumble around trying to find something to shade my eyes with. I trip over a hat before picking it up and hiding my eyes. Struggling to the window I look out. I see two men struggling to push the old ATM on a hand truck. Their struggle brings a slight smirk to my face. I continue to watch as they barely manage to get the ATM into the bed of the truck. Somehow the police next door do not see them.... it is more likely they just don't care though. I guess the men figured nobody would care after the trouble caused by the fire.

My eyes wander to the rubble and ashes left by the fire. I see a girl covered in soot and blood rising from the ash. A phoenix of her own sort. Her rise although filthy, was magnificent. A reminder of my days and my continuing dreams. But also, a reminder of how Watershed Heights has dragged me down. A reminder of how pathetic I have become. This memory drags me back to my bed. I curl up. I hold myself. I cry. I let the tears of my own phoenix fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment